Deep ocean mission (DOM)
Part of: Prelims and GS-III Science and Technology
Context: India will soon scour the ocean bed to unravel the mysteries of the origins of life as scientists are set to travel up to 6,000 m below the sea surface under a deep ocean mission (DOM).
- Ministry: Ministry of Earth Sciences
- Initially, the Rs. 4,077-crore mission will entail scientists travelling to a depth of 500 m to test various technologies being developed for the purpose before taking a deeper dive into the unknown.
- The DOM will also help India map the ocean bed, which is a rich source for metals and minerals.
- The mission will help scientists identify and demarcate resource-rich areas which could be exploited later when suitable technology is available for deep sea mining.
- The exploration studies of minerals will pave the way for commercial exploitation in the near future as and when such a code is evolved by the International Seabed Authority.
- This mission is also directed towards development in marine biology which will provide job opportunities in Indian industries.
News Source: TH