Part of: Prelims
Context: Diamond Jubilee of Chetak helicopter was recently celebrated by Indian Air Force.
About the helicopter
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, Helicopter Division started manufacturing helicopters in 1962, by entering an agreement with France for production of Aloutte III helicopters (Chetak).
- The first Chetak in ‘Fly Away’ condition was delivered in 1965.
- The Chetak Helicopter is a two ton class helicopter.
- The seven seater Chetak helicopter is versatile, multi role, multipurpose, and spacious.
- The helicopter is suitable for commuting, cargo / material transport, casualty evacuation, Search & Rescue (SAR), Aerial Survey & Patrolling, Emergency Medical Services, Off-shore operations and Under slung operations.
- Till date, HAL has produced and sold more than 350 of these versatile Helicopters which are in service both in India and abroad
News Source: TH