Part of: Prelims and GS II – Policies and interventions
Context: The government has said that around 2,71,000 persons will be trained over five years under Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi, PM-DAKSH Yojana.
- In 2020-21, the existing scheme of Assistance for Skill Development of Other Backward Classes, Economically Backward Classes was modified as a Central Sector Scheme with the inclusion of Scheduled Castes and Sanitation workers and was renamed as PM- DAKSH Yojana.
About PM-DAKSH Yojana
- The scheme aims to increase the skill levels of the target youth by providing for long-term and short-term skills, followed by settlement in employment and self-employment.
- Ministry: Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Nearly 74,000 persons have been trained and more than 17,000 got placement in 2020-21 and 2021-22.
- Under the scheme, free-of-cost training will be provided by the government for the trainees.
- The stipend of ₹1000-1500 per month per trainee will be given for trainees having 80% and above attendance in short-term and long-term training.
- Trained candidates will be provided placement after assessment and certification.
- Candidates in the age group 18 to 45 years belonging to SC, OBC, Economically Backward Classes, Transgender community, Safai Karamcharis can apply for the training programme under PM-DAKSH.
- The training is largely intended for rural artisans, domestic and sanitation workers.
News Source: Newsonair