Third positive indigenisation list
Part of: Prelims and GS III – Defence and security
Context: The Union Defence Minister recently released third positive indigenisation list of 101 pieces of equipment and platforms, which the Services can procure only from the domestic industry.
- The list includes naval utility helicopters, light tanks, small unmanned aerial vehicles and anti-ship missiles.
- This list is planned to be implemented from December 2022 till December 2027.
Indigenisation of Defence
- Indigenisation is the capability of developing and producing any defence equipment within the country for the dual purpose of achieving self reliance and reducing the burden of imports.
- Self-reliance in defence manufacturing is one of the key objectives of Department of Defence Production.
- Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO), Defence Public Sector Undertakings (DPSUs) and private organisations are playing a critical role in indigenisation of defence industries.
- India is among the world’s largest arms importers, and the armed forces are expected to spend about USD 130 billion on defence purchases over the next five years.
News Source: TH