Withdrawing general consent to CBI
Part of: Prelims and GS II – Polity
Context: Nine states have withdrawn general consent to the CBI to investigate cases.
- They include West Bengal, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Kerala and Punjab.
About Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI)
- The CBI is the premier investigating agency of India.
- Ministry: Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions.
- Role: It was originally set up to investigate bribery and governmental corruption.
- In 1965, it received expanded jurisdiction to investigate breaches of central laws enforceable by the Government of India, multi-state organised crime, multi-agency or international cases.
- CBI is exempted from the provisions of the Right to Information Act.
- CBI is India’s officially designated single point of contact for liaison with the Interpol.
- The CBI headquarter: New Delhi.
News Source: Newsonair