In News: The strategically-significant Sela Tunnel project in Arunachal Pradesh is nearing completion.
- Located in
- West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh
- Will provide an alternate axis to the Sela pass (at 13,700 feet)
- On the BCT Road – the Balipara, Charduar and Tawang axis (more than 300 km long)
- Being executed by: Border Roads Organisation
- Includes two tunnels and a link road; Tunnel 2 will be one of the longest tunnels to have been constructed above an altitude of over 13,000 feet.
- The total length of the project, including the tunnels, the approach and the link roads, will be around 12 km.
Why does the project matter?
- All-weather connectivity to Tawang and other forward areas in the sector
- Will provide a new alignment on the axis towards the LAC, and allow movement of military and civil vehicles all through the year (Sela pass stays closed for a few winter months).
- Reduction in more than one hour of travel time from Tezpur to Tawang and travellers avoiding dangerous snow covered Sela top at a height of 13,700 feet.
All weather connectivity to Tawang would be a game-changer for the local population ahead of Sela apart from the much-required strategic edge for our security forces.
Source: Indian Express