- Mains – GS 1 (Salient features of Indian Society)
In News: A 24-year-old Vadodara woman announced that she would marry herself in what she described as an “act of self-love”.
- The wedding, being seen as one of the first instances of self-marriage or “sologamy” in the country
What is sologamy or ‘self-marriage’?
- Sologamy is the act of marrying oneself in a public ceremony, also referred to as self-marriage or autogamy.
- While such a marriage has no legal sanction or status, the symbolic ceremony is used by many as an act to emphasize their self-love and independence.
When did the trend begin?
- It can be traced back to Linda Baker, a dental hygienist from the US, who married herself in 1993
- It is widely considered the first publicized act of self-marriage
- A sologamy divorce was also reported last year when a Brazilian model, announced she was ending her solo-marriage after just 90 days as she had fallen in love with someone else.
Source: Indian Express