In News: The Tamil Nadu government has established District Climate Change Missions in all 38 districts.
- The missions will be headed by the Collectors as Mission Directors.
- The District Forest Officers will function as Climate Officers.
- The missions will help to strengthen the government’s climate response at the grassroots.
- The Collectors will have to prepare district-level climate change mitigation and adaptation plans, build capacity and provide inputs for low-carbon, climate-resilient development plans.
- The Collectors will also work towards strengthening Climate Smart Villages and create bio-shields in the coastal areas.
- The missions will create a strong policy support across all sectors of governance; devise strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and bench-mark industries to move towards green manufacturing.
- They will also promote eco-friendly technologies, such as solar and wind energy technologies, biodegradable packaging and e-vehicles.
- Community Participation: Educating local communities in the management of climate change and creating technologies for evidence-based green models for adaptation and practical models for green mobility are the other objectives.
Source: The Hindu