In News: Defence Minister launched Y- 3023 Dunagiri, Project 17A frigate built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders Limited (GRSE) in Kolkata
- Christened after a mountain range in the state of Uttarakhand, ‘Dunagiri’ is the fourth ship of P17A Frigates.
- These are follow-on of the P17 Frigates (Shivalik Class) with improved stealth features, advanced weapons and sensors and platform management systems.
- The first two ships of P17A Project, were launched in 2019 and 2020 at MDL and GRSE respectively.
- The third ship (Udaygiri) was launched at MDL on 17 May 2022 earlier this year.
- Seven P17A Frigates are under various stages of construction at Mazagaon Dock Limited (MDL) and GRSE.
- The Nilgiri-class frigate or Project 17A is follow-on of the Project 17 Shivalik-class frigate for the Indian Navy.
- The frigates are built with extensive use of low-observability technologies, including new radar-absorbing coatings, composite materials and “faceted” shape superstructures.
- P17A ships have been designed in-house by Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design (DND), which has successfully spear-headed design of numerous class of indigenous warships in the past.
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Which one of the following is the best description of ‘INS Astradharini’, that was in the news recently? (2016)
- Amphibious warfare ship
- Nuclear-powered submarine
- Torpedo launch and recovery vessel
- Nuclear-powered aircraft carrier