Context: China defended its controversial move to block a joint India-U.S. effort to place a Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist on the U.N. Security Council’s 1267 committee sanctions list.
Type of UNSC Resolutions:
A UNSC resolution is of two kinds:
- One is obligatory: An obligatory or binding resolution of the UNSC is passed under Article 39, Chapter VII of the UN charter.
- Other non-obligatory: A non-binding resolution of the UNSC is one that is passed under Article 33, Chapter VI of the UN charter.
- During UNSC voting, abstention by non-P5 members merely means that temporary members do not wish to take sides in a resolution.
- When a P5 member abstain from a resolution, it is called a Veto. Resolution fails in this case.
Important Resolutions adopted by the Security Council in 2022:
- Resolution 2650 : The situation in the Middle East (UNIFIL)
- Resolution 2650 : The situation in Mali
- Resolution 2648: The situation in the Central African Republic
- Resolution 2636: Reports of the Secretary-General on the Sudan and South Sudan (UNITAMS)
- Resolution 2626: The situation in Afghanistan
- Resolution 2623: Emergency Special Session of the General Assembly on Ukraine
Source: The Hindu