In News: The 6th Summit meeting of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) held in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- The Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA) is a multi-national forum for enhancing cooperation towards promoting peace, security and stability in Asia.
- The CICA was convened in 1992, at the 47th Session of the United Nations General Assembly.
- Members and Observers – To be a member of CICA, a state must have at least a part of its territory in Asia.
- Currently, CICA has 27 Member States and 14 observers.
- The CICA Secretariat – It is an administrative body of CICA and is located in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
- Summit – The highest decision making organ of CICA is the Meeting of the CICA Heads of State and Government (Summit).
- The CICA Summit is convened every four years in order to conduct consultations, review the progress of, and set priorities for CICA activities.
- India and CICA – India is a founding member of CICA.
- India is the coordinator of CICA’s confidence building measures in combating terrorism.
Source: The Hindu