In News: The Union Ministry of Power has opposed the G7 nations’ plan of persuading India to start negotiations on a Just Energy Transition Partnership.
About Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP)
- JETP, an initiative of the rich nations to accelerate phasing out of coal and reducing emissions.
- The JETP initiative is modelled for the South Africa, to support South Africa’s decarbonisation efforts.
- It aims to reduce emissions in the energy sector and accelerate the coal phase-out process.
- JETP makes various funding options available for this purpose in identified developing countries.
- The JETP was launched at the COP26 in Glasgow with the support of the United Kingdom (UK), the United States (US), France, Germany, and the European Union (EU)
- Following that G7 has announced for a similar partnership in India, Indonesia, Senegal, and Vietnam.
India’s stand – India argues that coal cannot be singled out as a polluting fuel, and energy transition talks need to take place on equal terms.
Must Read: G7 – covered comprehensively
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Consider the following statements: (2022)
- “The Climate Group” is an international non-profit organization that drives climate action by building large networks and running them.
- The International Energy Agency in partnership with the Climate Group launched a global initiative “EP100”.
- EP100 brings together leading companies committed to driving innovation in energy efficiency and increasing competitiveness while delivering on emission reduction goals.
- Some Indian companies are members of EP100.
- The International Energy Agency is the Secretariat to the “Under2 Coalition”.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
- 1, 2, 4 and 5
- 1, 3 and 4 only
- 2,3 and 5 only
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5