In news: Tele Mental Health Assistance and Networking Across States (Tele-MANAS) initiative launched on occasion of World Mental Health Day.
- Tele-MANAS aims to provide free tele-mental health services all over the country, particularly catering to people in remote or under-served areas.
- It’s an initiative of Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare
- NIMHANS will be the nodal centre while National Health Systems Resource Centre (NHRSC), IIT Bengaluru and IIITB will provide technology support.
- The services will be available 24×7 on Toll Free Number– 14416, allowing callers to select the language of choice for availing services.
- At least One Tele-MANAS Cell to be established in each State/UT.
- Tele-MANAS will be organised in two tier system; Tier 1 comprises of state Tele-MANAS cells which include trained counsellors and mental health specialists. Tier 2 will comprise of specialists at District Mental Health Programme (DMHP)/Medical College resources for physical consultation and/or e-Sanjeevani for audio visual consultation.
- Presently there are 5 regional coordination centres along with 51 State/UT Tele MANAS cells.
- The initial rollout providing basic support and counselling through centralized Interactive Voice Response system (IVRS) is being customized for use across all States and UTs.
- Specialised care is being envisioned through the programme by linking Tele-MANAS with other services like National tele-consultation service, e-Sanjeevani, Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission, mental health professionals, Ayushman Bharat health and wellness centres and emergency psychiatric facilities.
- Eventually, this will include the entire spectrum of mental wellness and illness, and integrate all systems that provide mental health care.