Context: A section of environmentalists have flagged irregularities in the draft Environmental Impact Assessment report for a proposed chemical plant in Telangana’s Nalgonda district.
- More than 96% resources of chromite are located in Odisha, mostly in Jajpur, Kendujhar and Dhenkanal districts. Minor deposits are scattered over Manipur, Nagaland, Karnataka, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
Key details about Sodium Chromate and dichromate:
- Sodium chromate is the inorganic compound with the formula Na2CrO4.
- It exists as a yellow hygroscopic solid, which can form tetra-, hexa-, and decahydrates.
- It is an intermediate in the extraction of chromium from its ores.
- Sodium chromate is
- It is obtained on a vast scale by roasting chromium ores in air in the presence of sodium carbonate
- The compound is also corrosive and exposure may produce severe eye damage or blindness.
- Human exposure further encompasses impaired fertility, heritable genetic damage and harm to unborn children.
- Sodium chromate converts to sodium dichromate when treated with acids.
- Sodium dichromate is a hazardous chemical.
- It is corrosive to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract.
- Exposure to the substance may cause affect kidney and liver.
- Even a brief exposure to the substance can damage tissues.
- Repeated or prolonged inhalation may cause nasal ulceration. This may result in perforation of the nasal septum.
- The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms.
- It may cause long-term effects on the marine environment.
Uses of Sodium Chromate:
- Production of chromium from its ores.
- Used as a corrosion inhibitor in the petroleum industry.
- A dyeing auxiliary in the textile industry.
- A diagnostic pharmaceutical in determining red blood cell volume.
- In organic chemistry, sodium chromate is used as an oxidant, converting primary alcohols to carboxylic acids and secondary alcohols to ketones.
- Sodium chromate is a strong oxidizer.
Source: Down To Earth
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Magnetite particles, suspected to cause neurodegenerative problems are generated as environmental pollutants from which of the following? (2021)
- Brakes of motor vehicles
- Engines of motor vehicles
- Microwave stoves within homes
- Power plants
- Telephone lines
Select the correct answer using the code given below
- 1, 2, 3 and 5only
- 1, 2 and 4 only
- 3, 4 and 5 only
- 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5