Context: The mascots of Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games are designed like the red Phrygian cap and are called Les Phryges.
About Les Phryges:
- The Phryges are the official mascots of Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- They are two little female anthropomorphic Phrygian caps that are a strong symbol of France.
- The Phrygian cap, a soft, generally red hat, was worn by freed slaves in Phrygia, an ancient Greek kingdom in what is now Turkey.
- The Phrygian cap originated in the ancient country of Phrygia (in modern Turkey.
- The French Revolution was also the time that the earliest representations of a woman wearing a Phrygian cap — the allegorical Marianne — made an appearance in art.
- It is also an international symbol of liberty present in many emblems in North and South America.
Source: Indian Express