Context: Recently Karnataka’s principal chief conservator of forest (wildlife) has requested the National Tiger Conservation Authority (Project Tiger Division) to include the Kali Tiger Reserve in the phase III of the economic valuation of tiger reserves in India.
About Kali Tiger Reserve:
- Kali Tiger Reserve is located in Uttara Kannada District of Karnataka State. Covering the taluks of Haliyal, Karwar and Joida, the Kali Tiger Reserve (KTR) is part of the Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka.
- The Tiger Reserve comprises of two important protected areas of the region viz., Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary and Anshi National Park.
- Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary (475.018 sq. km) and Anshi National Park (339.866 sq km) are contiguous to each other and form a single tract of protected area located in biologically sensitive Western Ghats.
- The park is a habitat of Bengal tigers, black panthers and Indian elephants.
- Kali Tiger Reserve (KTR) in Karnataka is located in the biologically sensitive Western Ghats and a UNESCO world heritage site and a global biodiversity hotspot.
- The Kali River flows through the tiger reserve hence the name Kali Tiger Reserve.
- The park is in the ecoregions of North Western Ghats montane rain forests and North Western Ghats moist deciduous forests, both of which are deemed endangered by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
- Other large mammals here include: Indian bison, sloth bear, Indian wild boar, bonnet macaque, northern plains grey langur, grey slender loris, barking deer (muntjac), mouse deer (chevrotain), sambar deer and spotted deer (chital or axis deer).
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Among the following Tiger Reserves, which one has the largest area under “Critical Tiger Habitat”? (2020)
Q.2) The term M-STrIPES’ is sometimes seen in news in the context of (2017)
- Captive breeding of Wild Fauna
- Maintenance of Tiger Reservoirs
- Indigenous Satellite Navigation System
- Security of National Highways
Q.3) Consider the following statements :
- Animal Welfare Board of India is established under the Environments (Protection) Act, 1986
- National Tiger Conservation Authority is a statutory body
- National Ganga River Basin Authority is chaired by the Prime Minister
Which if the statements given above is/are correct? (2014)
- 1 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 2 only
- 1, 2 and 3