Context: The Ministry of Mines invites nominations for the National Geoscience Awards (NGA)-2022 for contributions in the field of fundamental/applied geosciences, mining, and allied areas.
About National Geoscience Awards:
- It was instituted by the Ministry of Mines in 1966 and given annually.
- It is an initiative to encourage geoscientists to strive toward excellence.
- Any citizen of India with a significant contribution in any of the fields specified in Clause-2 of the NGA Regulation 2022 will be eligible for these awards.
- Broad Disciplines: –
- Mineral Discovery & Exploration
- Mining, Mineral Beneficiation & Sustainable Mineral Development
- Basic Geosciences
- Applied Geosciences
- The National Geoscience Awards are of three categories:
- National Geoscience Award for Lifetime Achievement: Award for Lifetime Achievement (single award) shall be given to an individual with an exceptionally high lifetime achievement for sustained and significant contributions in any of the disciplines mentioned in Clause-2 of NGA Regulation 2022.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 5,00,000/- and a certificate.
- National Geoscience Award: National Geoscience Award (10 Awards) shall be given to individuals or team(s) in recognition of meritorious contribution in any of the disciplines mentioned in Clause-2 of NGA Regulation 2022.
- Each award carries a cash prize of Rs. 3,00,000/- and a certificate. In the case of a team award, the award money will be equally divided.
- National Young Geoscientist Award: Young Geoscientist Award (single award) shall be given for outstanding research work in any field of geosciences to an individual below 35 years of age as on the 31st December 2021.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 1,00,000 plus a research grant of Rs. 5,00,000/- spread over five years subject to satisfactory yearly progress and a certificate.