Context: Department of Water Resources organised the concluding event of the Young Water Professional Programme in collaboration with Western Sydney University, Australia and the Indian Institute of Technology.
About India Young Water Professional Programme:
- The National Hydrology Project, Department of Water Resources initiated this innovative 11-month-long programme with the objective to build the capacity of Young Water Professionals and provide them with the required knowledge, skills, attitude, and aptitude to offer their best in the country’s water sector by accepting leadership roles and responsibilities.
- This programme focuses on gender equality and diversity.
- The first phase of this Programme selected 20 young officers from the National Hydrology Project’s central and state implementing agencies.
- Progress and Relevance: the Australia India Water Centre brought together eight universities and one state government department from Australia and 16 IITs and key universities of India.
- India and Australia are natural partners and this collaboration to train young water professionals is an important step in the right direction.