Context: According to sources, the work on India’s first-ever night sky sanctuary in Ladakh will be completed in a month.
About the Sanctuary:
- It is being set up by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research under Union Ministry of Science & Technology.
- The proposed Dark Sky Reserve will be located at Hanle in Ladakh as a part of Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary.
- The Changthang Wildlife Sanctuary is a high altitude wildlife sanctuary located in the Ladakh adjunct of the Changthang plateau.
- It will boost Astro tourism in India and will be one of the world’s highest-located sites for optical, infra-red, and gamma-ray telescopes.
- Hanle is located in Ladakh’s cold desert region, away from any form of human disturbance with clear sky conditions and dry weather conditions that exist throughout the year.
Source: The Hindu
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Consider the following phenomena
- Light is affected by gravity.
- The Universe is constantly expanding.
- Matter warps its surrounding space-time.
Which of the above is/are the prediction/predictions of Albert Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, often discussed in media ?
- 1 and 2 only
- 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3