In News: 59th Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) General Assembly & associated meetings 2022 was held
- Theme – ‘Serving The People-Media’s Role In The Time Of Crisis’
- Established in 1964 as a not-for-profit, non-government, non-political, professional association
- It is the biggest broadcasting union in the world.
- It covers around 70 countries and 5 continents and has 250 members
- It covers eight regions: the Pacific, Asia(SE, North, South, Central), Middle East, Europe, North Africa, North America.
- Indian members:
- All India Radio / Prasar Bharati (AIR)
- Doordarshan / Prasar Bharati (DD)
- to assist the development of broadcasting in the region
- promotes the collective interests of television and radio broadcasters as well as key industry players and facilitate regional and international media co-operation.
- ABU organises key industry, regional and global conferences and summits as platforms for exchanging ideas, experiences and practices.
- The ABU Media Academy is a centre of excellence and learning, providing hundreds of courses and capacity building activities annually
- It provides rights-free content acquisition for developing countries, negotiates rights for major sports events and organises coverage for the region.
- It trains and equips media practitioners on role of media in the time of crisis.
- It also discovers the latest trends and challenges, bringing together members of journalistic community and academia from this vast region and engage them into intense learning, discussions, exchange of ideas and networking.