In News: Union government urged to include Srimukhalingam temple in UNESCO list
- The Srimukhalingam temple was also known as Kalinganagaram.
- It was the capital of the early Eastern Ganga Dynasty.
- Located in Jalumuru mandal of Srikakulam district Andhra Pradesh, near Vamsadhara River.
- Constructed in the 9th century CE , it is built in the Kalinga architectural style.
- Dedicated to lord Srimukha Lingeswara (a form of Shiva).
- Here, Shiva Lingams do not have facial carvings and hence the temple differs from other shiva temples.
- It is also known as Dakshina Kaasi.
- It is believed that visiting this temple and taking a dip in the river relieves one from the cycle of rebirth.