In News: An Indo-Russian joint venture has started manufacturing Kalashnikov AK-203 assault rifles in Uttar Pradesh’s Amethi, a move that will lend greater firepower to the Indian armed forces.
- Russia and India continue to implement military-technical cooperation projects.
- The AK-200-series assault rifles have retained all the advantages of the traditional AK scheme — reliability, durability and ease of maintenance. At the same time, they fully meet the latest requirements for firearms in the world in terms of ergonomics and the ability to mount high-tech additional equipment
- AK 203 has excellent ergonomics, adaptability to different shooters and high performance characteristics, it is one of the best assault rifles in the world
- Today, India is the first country to start producing the AK-200-series assault rifles of the world-famous brand
- Korwa Ordnance Factory in Amethi, Uttar Pradesh, has produced the first batch of 7.62 mm Kalashnikov AK-203 assault rifles.
- Indo-Russian Rifles Private Limited is the manufacturer
- It is a joint venture, registered and located in India, whose founders on the Russian side are Rosoboronexport and Kalashnikov Concern (both subsidiaries of the Rostec State Corporation)
- It fully complies with the government of India’s Made in India initiative and DAP (Defence Acquisition Procedure) 2020.
- Indo-Russian Rifles Private Limited plans to ensure 100 per cent localisation of the production of AK-203 rifles in India.
- Rosoboronexport aims to cooperate on terms of transfer of technology put forward by the Indian side and in accordance with the Make in India initiative
- In future, the company may also increase output and upgrade its production facilities to produce advanced rifles based on the Kalashnikov assault rifle platform.
- High-quality, convenient and modern small arms will begin to enter service with India’s defence and law enforcement agencies
Source: Business standard