Context: Recently, Prime Minister named 21 islands in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands after recipients of Param Vir Chakra.
About Param Vir Chakra:
- It is the highest wartime gallantry award in India.
- It is granted for “most conspicuous bravery in the presence of the enemy”.
- The first recipient was Major Somnath Sharma for his actions in the 1947-48 India-Pakistan War.
- The last recipient was Captain Vikram Batra for actions in the Kargil War in 1999.
- Till now it has been granted to 21 armed forces personnel.
- Most of the Param Vir Chakras were granted posthumously as they made the supreme sacrifice in the line of duty.
- It was designed by Savitri Khanolkar, a Swiss national whose real name was Eve Yvonne Maday de Maros.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Consider the following statements in respect of Bharat Ratna and Padma Awards:
- Bharat Ratna and Padma awards are titles under the Article 18 (1) of the Constitution of India.
- Padma Awards, which were instituted in the year 1954, were suspended only once.
- The number of Bharat Ratna Awards is restricted to a maximum of five in a particular year.
Which of the above statements are not correct?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3