Context: The Kerala Health Department confirmed two cases of the gastrointestinal infection norovirus.
- Norovirus is a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea.
- Norovirus, also called the “winter vomiting bug”, is a stomach bug that causes vomiting and diarrhoea.
- However, norovirus illness is not related to the flu which is caused by influenza virus.
- It is an RNA virus of the family Caliciviridae.
- It is a human enteric pathogen that causes substantial morbidity across both health care and community settings.
- People of all ages can get infected and sick with norovirus.
- A 2022 study says that norovirus infections are more frequently detected in high income countries, with almost 40% cases being seen in long-term care facilities.
- In contrast, the cases in India have mostly been detected in settings like schools and hostels, where people share food.
Source: Indian Express
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) Which one of the following statements best describes the role of B cells and T cells in the human body?
- They protect the body from environmental allergens
- They alleviate the body’s pain and inflammation.
- They act as immunosuppressants in the body.
- They protect the body from the diseases caused by pathogens.
Q.2) Consider the following:
Which of the above can be cultured in an artificial/ synthetic medium?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1,2 and 3