In News: Number of Janaushadhi Kendras under Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) has increased by 100 times in the last eight years.
- There are nine thousand functional kendras across the country as compared to 80 kendras in 2014-15.
- To provide quality medicines at an affordable rate to the common man especially the poor through dedicated outlets called ‘PM Bhartiya janaushadhi kendra’
- the Government has set a target to increase the number of janaushadhi kendras to 10 thousand by 2024.
About the scheme:
- It is a campaign launched by Department of Pharmaceuticals in association with Central Pharma Public Sector Undertakings
- It provides generic medicines at much lesser prices.
- Pharmaceutical & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI) has been established under the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt. of India, with the support of all the CPSUs for co-coordinating procurement, supply and marketing of generic drugs through the Jan Aushadhi Stores.
- The quality, safety and efficacy of medicines are ensured by getting each batch of medicines procured from CPSUs as well as private suppliers tested from NABL approved laboratories and conforming to the required standards before the same are supplied to Supers stockists /Jan Aushadhi Stores from the Warehouse of PMBI.
- OTC (Over-the-counter) products can be purchased by any individual without a prescription. A prescription from a registered medical practitioner is necessary for the purchase of scheduled drugs.
- More than 8604 kendra are currently functional.
- The working hours of kendras are 8AM to 8PM
Source News on air
Previous Year Question
Q.1) Which one of the following is a purpose of ‘UDAY’, a scheme of the Government? (2016)
- Providing technical and financial assistance to start-up entre-preneurs in the field of renewable sources of energy
- Providing electricity to every household iv the country by 2018
- Replacing the coal-based power plants with natural gas, nuclear, solar, wind and tidal power plants over a period of time.
- Providing for financial turnaround and revival of power distribution companies