Context: At the 190th Meeting of ESI Corporation, the Ministry for Labour & Employment announced several decisions on strengthening social security for Shram Jeevis.
- It is a state-run organization set up under the Employee State Insurance Act of 1948.
- It is responsible for overseeing the ESI plan.
- Ministry: The Ministry of Labour & Employment
- It provides socio-economic protectionto the worker population and immediate dependent or family covered under the ESI scheme.
About ESI Scheme:
- The Employees’ State Insurance Scheme (ESI)is an integrated measure of social Insurance embodied in the Employees’ State Insurance Act, of 1948.
- It applies to factories and other establishments Road Transport, Hotels, Restaurants, Cinemas, Newspaper, Shops, and Educational/Medical Institutions wherein 10 or more persons are employed.
- The benefits of the ESI system are described below.
- Physical Disability Benefits
- Medical Benefits
- Maternity Benefits
- Dependent Benefit
- Unemployment Allowance.
- Sickness Benefit
About Atal Beemit Vyakti Kalyan Yojana(ABVKY):
- It is a welfare measure being implemented by the Employee’s State Insurance (ESI) Corporation.
- It was introduced in
- This scheme aims to financially aid people who lost their jobs due to changing employment patterns and due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- It offerscash compensation to insured persons when they are rendered unemployed.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) In India, which one of the following compiles information on industrial disputes, closures, retrenchments, and lay-offs in factories employing workers? (2022)
- Central Statistics Office
- Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade
- Labour Bureau
- National Technical Manpower Information System
Q.2) With reference to the casual workers employed in India, consider the following statements: (2021)
- All casual workers are entitled to employees Provident Fund Coverage
- All casual workers are entitled to regular working hours and overtime payment
- The government can by notification specify that an establishment or industry shall pay wages only through its bank account.
Which of the above statements is correct?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1,2 and 3
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…