Geography, Indian Polity & Constitution
Context: Recently, the Government of India has constituted Greater Panna Landscape Council(GPLC).
About Greater Panna Landscape Council (GPLC):
- It has been constituted under the chairmanship of the Chief Secretary, Govt of Madhya Pradesh.
- Objective: To ensure systematic and time-bound implementation of the Greater Panna Landscape Management plan.
- Its goal is to ensure a “win-win” situation for conservation through integration with the development process based on a balanced approach and considering the diverse stakes.
About Ken-Betwa Link Project (KBLP) :
- Ken-Betwa Link Project (KBLP), the first interlinking of rivers project.
- It is under National Perspective Plan (NPP).
- It would be a game-changer for the socio-economic prosperity of the Bundelkhand region, which faces recurrent drought situations.
- The project is aimed at not only providing water security in the Bundelkhand but also ensuring the overall conservation of the region and especially for landscape-dependent species such as tigers, vultures, and gharial.
- Apart from taking mitigation measures as per the approved Environmental Management Plan, the Wildlife Institute of India (WII) has prepared a comprehensive Integrated Landscape Management Plan (ILMP) for the conservation of wildlife and biodiversity not only in Panna Tiger Reserve (PTR) but also in surrounding areas.
- The Integrated Landscape Management Plan under the Ken-Betwa Link Project is one of the major and unique conservation measures being initiated in the conservation history of India.
- Implementing Agency:
A Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) called Ken-Betwa Link Project Authority (KBLPA) will be set up to implement the project.
About Ken and Betwa Rivers:
- Ken and Betwa rivers originate in MP and are the tributaries of Yamuna.
- The river originates near the village of Ahirgawan on the north-west slopes of Kaimur Range in the district of Jabalpur.
- Important tributaries of the Ken River: Sonar, Bearma, Kopra, Bewas, Urmil, Mirhasan, Kutni, Kail, Gurne, Patan, Siameri, Chandrawal, Banne, and others. Sonar, the longest tributary.
- Ken meets with Yamuna in the Banda district of UP and with Betwa in the Hamirpur district of UP.
- Ken River passes through the Panna tiger reserve.
- Betwa River, Sanskrit Vetravati (“Containing Reeds”), rises in the Vindhya Range just north of Hoshangabad, Madhya Pradesh.
- It flows generally northeast through Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh states and empties into the Yamuna River just east of Hamirpur.
- The Jamni and Dhasan rivers are the main tributaries.
About Panna Tiger Reserve:
- It is a national park located in the Panna and Chhatarpur districts of Madhya Pradesh in India.
- It was declared in 1994 as the twenty-second Tiger reserve of India and the fifth in Madhya Pradesh.
- Panna was given the Award of Excellence in 2007 as the best-maintained national park of India by the Ministry of Tourism of India.
- In 2020, UNESCO included Panna National Park of Madhya Pradesh under its list of Biosphere reserves
- Among the animals found here is the tiger, leopard, chital, chinkara, nilgai, sambhar, and sloth bear.
Previous Year Questions
Q.1) With reference to Indian laws about wildlife protection, consider the following statements : (2022)
- Wild animals are the sole property of the government.
- When a wild animal is declared protected, such animal is entitled to equal protection whether it is found in protected areas or outside.
- Apprehension of a protected wild animal becoming a danger to human life is sufficient ground for its capture or killing.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 and 2
- 2 only
- 1 and 3
- 3 only
Q.2) Which of the following Protected Areas are located in the Cauvery basin? (2020)
- Nagarhole National Park
- Papikonda National Park
- Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 and 2 only
- 3 and 4 only
- 1, 3, and 4 only
- 1, 2, 3 and 4
For a dedicated peer group, Motivation & Quick updates, Join our official telegram channel – https://t.me/IASbabaOfficialAccount
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel HERE to watch Explainer Videos, Strategy Sessions, Toppers Talks & many more…