UN development index
Part of: GS Prelims and GS Mains II–Development
- India ranks 129 out of 189 countries on the 2019 Human Development Index (HDI) — up one slot from the 130th position last year
- Human Development Report (HDR) is released by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- The HDI measures average achievement in three basic dimensions of human development — life expectancy, education and per capita income.
- Norway, Switzerland and Ireland occupied the top three positions in that order. Germany is placed fourth along with Hong Kong, and Australia secured the fifth rank on the global ranking
- Among India’s neighbours, Sri Lanka (71) and China (85) are higher up the rank scale while Bhutan (134), Bangladesh (135), Myanmar (145), Nepal (147), Pakistan (152) and Afghanistan (170) were ranked lower on the list.
- However, for inequality-adjusted HDI (IHDI), India’s position drops by one position to 130. The IHDI indicates percentage loss in HDI due to inequalities.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :