Part of: GS Prelims –Environment and GS-III- Conservation
Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
- West Bengal, Odisha and Assam — account for about half of both human and elephant deaths in the overall human-elephant conflict in the country,.
- Past five years 2,361 human deaths were recorded in elephant attacks across the country ,48% fatalities were from these three States,
- Unnatural deaths of elephants (mainly due to poaching, train accidents, electrocution and poisoning), 53% occurred in these three States alone.
Baba’s Value addition:
The Indian elephant
- One of three extant recognised subspecies of the Asian elephant and native to mainland Asia
- Listed as Endangered on the IUCN Red List
- the wild population has declined by at least 50% since the 1930s to 1940s
- Threatened by habitat loss, degradation and fragmentation.
- Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF)flagship elephant conservation programme — Project Elephant.
- Launched in 1992, Centrally-sponsored scheme
- Primarily aimed at protecting elephant, their habitats and corridors
- Addressing issues of man-animal conflict and welfare of domesticated elephants.
- Recent years project has run aground.