Masood Azhar & family missing, Pak. tells financial watchdog FATF
Part of: GS Prelims –Polity and GS-II- International organization
- Pakistan has informed the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) that Masood Azhar, founder of terror outfit Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM), and his family are “missing”.
- Listed as a designated terrorist by the United Nations Security Council 1267 Committee
- The FATF is now reviewing Pakistan’s case to see if it fulfils the global standards criteria to combat terror-financing.
- The FATF is chaired by China.
- JeM had claimed responsibility for the Pulwama terror attack on February 14 last year when 40 CRPF personnel were killed in a car bombing.
From Prelims Point of View:
FATF (Financial Action Task Force)
- Established in 1989 by a Group of Seven (G-7) Summit in Paris
- To examine and develop measures to combat money laundering.
- Recently in 2012 it expanded its mandate to incorporate efforts to combat terrorist financing,
- Secretariat is housed at the OECD headquarters in Paris.
United Nations Security Council resolution 1267
- Adopted unanimously on1999
- the Council designated Osama bin Laden and associates as terrorists
- Established a sanctions regime to cover individuals and entities associated with Al-Qaida, Osama bin Laden and/or the Taliban wherever located
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :