Women Army officers eligible for permanent commission
Part of: GS Prelims –Society and GS-II- Women Empowerment
- Dismissed the Union government’s submissions that women are physiologically weaker than men as a “sex stereotype”
- Declared that Short Service Commission (SSC) women officers are eligible for permanent commission and command posts in the Army irrespective of their years of service.
- The court found the remarks in the note not only constitutionally invalid but also discriminatory, affecting the dignity of women officers.
- More details – Refer the Mains Focus section
IASbaba’s Value Addition:
Prejudice & Stereotype :
- Prejudice refers to certain attitudes towards an individual or a group of individuals.
- Stereotype refers to allocation of particular roles to an individual or group of individuals.
For example, some have a prejudice towards women that they are weak. This leads to their role allocation in the society and certain jobs have been stereotyped for women-receptionists, teachers, nurse etc.
- Prejudice and stereotypes lead to social inequality and exclusion.
For example, if women are stereotyped as nurses, teachers and receptionists, they stand no chance of becoming an IAS, IPS, Astronaut, diplomat, scientist and soldier.