Jeevan: Prototype ventilator by Railways’ Rail Coach Factory (RCF)
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health; GS-III – Science and technology
- The Railways’ Rail Coach Factory (RCF) in Kapurthala has become the first PSU to develop a prototype ventilator that has an original design and will cost a fraction of what regular ventilators cost.
- The prototype is named Jeevan.
- It shall go for final testing at the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) before being put to production to aid the country’s fight against COVID-19.
- The heart of the device is the compressed air container to work the Ambu bag with air.
- It doesn’t have any moving parts like servo motor or piston or link mechanism.