Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Environment
- According to the Centre-run System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR), the measures against COVID-19 have led to a drop in PM2.5 (fine particulate pollutant) to a great extent in major cities like Delhi and Pune.
- With a nationwide lockdown in place, over 90 cities, including Delhi, have recorded minimal air pollution in the last few days.
- The level of Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) pollution, mainly caused due to a high motor vehicle traffic, has also reduced.
- NOx pollution can increase the risk of respiratory conditions.
Important value additions:
System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research (SAFAR)
- It was indigenously developed by Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune.
- It is run by India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- The objective is to provide Real-time air quality index on 24×7 basis with colour coding along with 72-hour advance weather forecast.
- Another goal is to issue health advisory to prepare citizens well in advance.
GreenCo Rating System
- GreenCo Rating system has been acknowledged in India’s Intended Nationally Determined Contribution (INDC) document.
- It is used as a proactive voluntary action of Indian industry / private sector towards combating climate change.
- It is developed by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- CII is a non-government, not-for-profit, industry-led and industry-managed organization
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :