10% reservation allowed for economically weaker sections in Sikkim
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Welfare schemes
- In Sikkim, the State Cabinet has recently decided to allow Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) of people who do not fall in the reserved category of ST, SC and OBC for 10% Central reservation.
- The notification regarding the entitlements to the reservation will be issued soon.
- Eligible persons should:
- have an annual family income of less than Rs. 8 lakhs; or
- who possess less than five acres of land; or
- who possess less than 1,000 Sq. ft. residential flat in any municipal area; or
- who possess less than 100 square yards of residential plot in a municipal area; or
- who possess less than 200 square yards of residential plot outside municipal area along the roadside or in commercial areas.
- The reservation will not apply to technical and scientific posts and other such posts which are outside the purview of the Central services.