‘One Sun One World One Grid’ (OSOWOG) initiative proposed by India
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Global Groupings & GS-III – Energy
- OSOWOG initiative was recently proposed by India to set up a framework for facilitating global cooperation which aims at building a global ecosystem of interconnected renewable energy resources that can be easily shared.
- Parent Body: The Union Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE)
- Objective: To build global consensus about sharing solar resources among more than 140 countries of West Asia and South-East Asia.
- This grid shall be interconnected with the African power pools also at the later stage.
- Proposals are invited from consulting firms for making a long-term OSOWOG road map, and identify two or three cross-border projects that can be initiated within one or two years.
Important value additions
India’s other renewable energy-related initiatives
- International Solar Alliance (ISA)
- It is a treaty-based inter-governmental Organisation.
- It aims to deploy over 1,000 GW of solar generation capacity globally.
- It aims to mobilise investment of over $1 trillion by 2030.
- Headquartered: Gurgaon.
- It was established following the Paris Declaration as an alliance dedicated to the promotion of solar energy among its member countries.
- Presently, electricity is supplied to Bhutan, Nepal, Myanmar and Bangladesh.
- There are now plans to connect Sri Lanka with power transmission lines as well.
- India, along with the other countries of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation had signed an agreement to enable cross-border electricity trade among the member states on a voluntary basis in 2014.
- Later in August 2018, India also signed a MoU for establishing grid interconnection between the members of the BIMSTEC.
IASbaba imparts 360-degree IAS preparation solutions with their exhaustive Prelims and Mains preparation courses, supported by the latest UPSC preparation material. Avail our expert help by enrolling with us to keep your knowledge updated and stay ahead of your competition.
Most Trending and Trusted Programmes by UPSC Toppers :