WHO Foundation created to tap new funding sources
Part of: GS-Prelims and GS-II – Global Groupings
- The WHO Foundation was created recently as an independent grant-making entity.
- It will support the WHO’s efforts to address the most pressing global health challenges.
- The foundation will enable WHO to tap new non-traditional sources of funding, including the general public.
- It will support the global health ecosystem by funding high-impact initiatives and advancing strategies of innovation, effectiveness, and rapid response.
- Its Headquarter will be in Geneva.
- It will be legally independent from the WHO.
- It will provide funds to WHO and trusted implementing partners to deliver on the Organization’s triple billion goals.
- These goals aim to achieve the following by 2023:
- Protect 1 billion people from health emergencies.
- Extend universal health coverage to 1 billion people.
- Assure healthy lives and wellbeing to 1 billion people.