India-Bangladesh Inland Waterways
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II- International relations
- The trial run on a new river route from Daudkandi in Bangladesh to Sonamura in Tripura started recently.
- Distance covered will be 93 km through river Gumti or Gomati.
- The route will connect Tripura with Bangladesh using the inland waterways for the first time.
- It will greatly enhance connectivity between Bangladesh and the North Eastern states of India boosting bilateral trade with Bangladesh.
- The opening of the new route follows the signing of the 2nd addendum to the Protocol for Inland Water Trade & Transit (PIWTT) in May 2020 which opened two new routes.
Do you know?
- The PIWTT was signed between India and Bangladesh in 1972 to connect the two countries through inland waterways.