PVTGs of Odisha infected with COVID-19
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Issues related to SCs & STs; Health
- Six members of two Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (Bondas and Didiayis) in Odisha have recently contracted Covid-19.
- The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes has sought a report from the state government and has termed it a “matter of grave concern”.
Important value additions
Bondas and Didiayis Tribes
- They are found in the Malkangiri district of Odisha
- The Bondas are believed to have come to India as part of the first wave of migration out of Africa about 60,000 years ago.
- The Didayis are an Austro-Asiatic tribe.
- The population of Didayis is 7,250 according to the 2011 Census.
- They live in the Konda Kamberu hills of Malkangiri.
Read more about Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Group here