Queen Elizabeth II to be dropped as monarch by Barbados
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- Queen Elizabeth II, who is the head of state in the UK and 15 other Commonwealth realms will be dropped as monarch by Barbados in 2021.
- Barbados aims to complete the process of becoming a republic before its 55th anniversary of independence from Britain, in November 2021.
- With this, it will become the first country in almost three decades to sever ties with the British royal family and become a republic.
Do you know?
- Barbados, a former British colony, gained its independence in 1966.
- Although it is an independent state, Queen Elizabeth remains its constitutional head.
- It shall remain a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
- Commonwealth of Nations is the 54-nation club of mostly former British colonies which is led by the Queen, and includes India.