Ranking of States on Support to Startup Ecosystems: DPIIT
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Start-ups; Entrepreneurship
- The Results of the 2nd edition of Ranking of States on Support to Startup Ecosystems were released recently.
- Ministry: Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
- DPIIT has recently released the Ease of Doing Business Rankings of the States-2019 based on the State Business Reform Action Plan.
- Objective: To foster competitiveness, mutual learning and propel States and Union Territories (UTs) to work proactively towards uplifting the startup ecosystem.
- Framework: The 2019 Ranking Framework has seven broad reform areas consisting of 30 action points – institutional support, easing compliances, relaxation in public procurement norms, incubation support, seed funding support, venture funding support, and awareness and outreach.
- Participation: 22 States and 3 Union Territories.
- 2 Categories of States and UTs: (1) Category Y: All UTs except Delhi and all States in North East India except Assam; (2) Category X: All other States and UT of Delhi.
- Best Performers: (1) Gujarat; (2) Karnataka; (3) Kerala.
- Lowest performance: (1) Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- Best performer in Category Y: Andaman & Nicobar Islands
- Worst performer in Category Y: Sikkim