Standards for Safety Evaluation 0f Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Energy Resources
- The Standards for Safety Evaluation of Hydrogen Fuel Cells vehicles were recently notified.
- Ministry: The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- The motor vehicles of Category M and Category N, running on compressed gaseous hydrogen fuel cell, shall be in accordance with AIS 157:2020, as amended from time to time, till the corresponding Bureau of Indian Standard Act, 2016, specification is notified.
- Also, the hydrogen fuel specification for fuel cell vehicles will be in accordance with ISO 14687.
- They were notified through an amendment to Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989.
- These standards are also at par with the available international standards.
- This would facilitate the promotion of Hydrogen Fuel Cell based vehicles in India.
- Hydrogen Fuel Cell based vehicles are energy efficient and environment friendly.