Basic Exchange And Cooperation Agreement (BECA) signed between India and USA
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – International Relations
- India and the United States signed the Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) recently.
- BECA, the Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement (LEMOA) and the Communications Compatibility and Security Agreement (COMCASA) which were signed earlier form foundational pacts for deep military cooperation between the two countries.
- BECA will help India get real-time access to American geospatial intelligence.
- The access will enhance the accuracy of automated systems and weapons like missiles and armed drones.
- The sharing of information on maps and satellite images will help India access topographical and aeronautical data, and advanced products that will aid in navigation and targeting.
- This could also be key to Air Force-to-Air Force cooperation between India and the US.