Place in news: Feni Bridge
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Geography & GS-II – International Relations
- Feni bridge was in the news recently.
- The 1.8 km long bridge shall connect Sabrum in India with Ramgarh in Bangladesh and will be completed by December 2020.
- Constructed by: National Highways Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd of Ministry of Road and Transport highways, Government of India.
- It is being developed as a corridor for trade and commerce between India’s North-East and Bangladesh.
- It will also promote tourism and people-to-people ties.
- It will provide direct road connectivity between South Tripura and Chittagong allowing India to use Chittagong as a port of call.
- The bridge will facilitate carrying heavy machines and goods to and from the north-eastern states and the rest of India via Bangladesh through Chattogram.
Do you know?
- Feni Bridge is also known as Maitree Setu in Chattogram.
- It is being built over the Feni River and will connect Tripura with Chittagong port of Bangladesh.