Directorate General of Shipping notified as National Authority For Recycling Of Ships
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Economy
- The Central Government has recently notified the Directorate General of Shipping as National Authority for Recycling of Ships under section 3 of the Recycling of Ships Act, 2019.
- As an apex body, DG Shipping is authorised to administer, supervise and monitor all activities related to ship recycling.
- DG Shipping will be the final authority for the various approvals.
Do you know?
- Under Ship Recycling Act, 2019, India has acceded to Hong Kong Convention for Ship Recycling under International Maritime Organization (IMO).
- DG Shipping is a representative of India in IMO.
- All the conventions of IMO are being enforced by DG Shipping.
- National Authority of Ship Recycling will be set up in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- Its location will benefit the Ship Recycling yard owners situated in Alang, Gujarat which is home of Asia’s largest ship breaking and ship recycling industry in the world.