District Development Councils (DDCs) to be set up in J&K
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Governance
- The Central Government recently amended the Jammu and Kashmir Panchayati Raj Act, 1989.
- The amendment shall facilitate the setting up of District Development Councils (DDC).
- The members will be directly elected by voters in J&K.
- The DDCs will act as a new unit of governance in J&K.
- This structure will include a DDC and a District Planning Committee (DPC).
- J&K Panchayati Raj Rules, 1996, have also been amended to establish DDCs.
- This system shall replace the District Planning and Development Boards in all districts.
- It will also prepare and approve district plans and capital expenditure.
- The term of the DDC will be five years.
- The electoral process will allow for reservations for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and women.
- The Additional District Development Commissioner (or the Additional DC) of the district shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the District Development Council.