EPFO’s New Facility on UMANG App started
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – E-Governance & GS-III – Employment
- Recently, the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has started a facility on the Unified Mobile Application for New-age Governance (UMANG) App which enables members of the Employees’ Pension Scheme (EPS) 1995 to apply online for Scheme Certificates.
- Scheme Certificate is issued to members who withdraw their Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) contribution but wish to retain their membership with EPFO, to avail pension benefits on the attainment of retirement age.
- Members become eligible for pension only if they have been, cumulatively, a member of the EPS, 1995 for at least 10 years.
- Upon joining a new job, Scheme Certificate ensures that previous pensionable service is added to pensionable service rendered with the new employer
- It is also useful for family members to avail family pension
Important value additions
- It is a unified, secure, multi-channel, multi-platform, multi-lingual, multi-service mobile app.
- Developed by: Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and National e-Governance Division (NeGD)
- Objective: To drive mobile governance under Digital India.
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO)
- It is a government organisation that manages the provident fund and pension accounts for the workforce engaged in the organized sector in India.
- It implements the Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952.
- Administered by: Ministry of Labour and Employment.
Do you know?
- EPS is a social security scheme that was launched in 1995 and is provided by EPFO.
- It makes provisions for pensions for the employees in the organised sector after the retirement at the age of 58 years.