Meri Saheli launched
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Social issues
- Indian Railways has launched “Meri Saheli” initiative for focused action on security of women across all zones.
- Objective: To provide safety and security to lady passengers travelling by trains for their entire journey from starting station to destination station.
- It is an initiative of Railway Protection Force (RPF).
- It entails interaction with lady passengers especially those travelling alone by a team of young lady RPF personnel at the originating station.
- These lady passengers are briefed about all precautions to be taken during the journey and told to dial 182 in case they face or see any problem in the coach.
- The platform duty RPF personnel at the stopping stations en-route keep unobtrusive watch over the concerned coaches and berths and if need arises, interact with the lady passengers.
Do you know?
- The “Meri Saheli” initiative was started as a pilot project in South Eastern Railway in September 2020 and after getting encouraging response from lady passengers, it was extended to all zones