SERB – Power scheme for women scientists
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-III – Science and Technology
- A Scheme titled “SERB-POWER (Promoting Opportunities for Women in Exploratory Research)” was recently launched exclusively for women scientists.
- Ministry: Ministry of Science & Technology
- Launched by: The Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a Statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology (DST)
- Objective: To mitigate gender disparity in science and engineering research in various S&T programs.
- It will have two components namely: (1) SERB-POWER Fellowship; (2) SERB- POWER Research Grants.
Features of the SERB-POWER Fellowship
- Target: Women researchers in 35-55 years of age. Up-to 25 Fellowships per year and not more than 75 at any point in time.
- Components of support: Fellowship of Rs. 15,000/- per month in addition to regular income; Research grant of Rs. 10 lakh per annum; and Overhead of Rs. 90,000/- per annum.
- Duration: Three years, without the possibility of extension. Once in a career.
Features of the SERB – POWER Research Grants
- POWER Grants will empower women researchers by funding them under following two categories: (1) Level I (Applicants from IITs, IISERs, IISc, NITs, Central Universities, and National Labs of Central Government Institutions): The scale of funding is up to 60 lakhs for three years; (2) Level II (Applicants from State Universities / Colleges and Private Academic Institutions): The scale of funding is up to 30 lakhs for three years.
- POWER Grant will be regulated through terms of reference conforming to SERB-CRG (Science and Engineering Research Board-Core Research Grant) guidelines.