Garima Greh: A Shelter Home for Transgender Persons’ e-inaugurated
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-I – Society & GS-II – Policies and interventions
- A ‘Garima Greh: A Shelter Home for Transgender Persons’ was recently e-inaugurated in Vadodara, Gujarat.
- Inaugurated by: Ministry for Social Justice & Empowerment
- Under the Scheme of ‘Shelter Home for Transgender Persons’, the ministry has decided to set up shelter homes for transgender persons who have been forced to leave their homes or abandoned by the family.
- This is first such home in Vadodara.
- By March 31st, 2021, Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Patna, Kolkata, Jaipur, Raipur, Bhubaneswar and Manipur will also have such homes to be called “Garima Greh” with a capacity for 25 persons.
- They will be run by transgender community-led organisations.
- These shelters will also provide skill training to connect the community members with livelihood opportunities.
- This is a pilot project.
- On its successful completion, similar schemes will be extended to other parts of the country.