5th National Family Health Survey (NFHS) released
Part of: GS Prelims and GS-II – Health
- Ministry of Health released the 5th National Family Health Survey (NFHS).
- The survey contains detailed information on population, health and nutrition for India and its states and union territories.
- The results of 17 States and 5 UTs have been released Phase-I.
- Phase II covering the remaining 12 States and 2 UTs had their fieldwork suspended due to Covid-19, which has been resumed from November and is expected to be completed by May 2021.
- Substantial improvement in maternal and child health indicators over NFHS-4 (2015-16) was recorded in the present survey.
- The fertility rate has further declined.
- Contraceptive use has increased and unmet need has been reduced in most phase I states.
- The survey found considerable improvement in vaccination coverage among children age 12-23 months across all states and UTs.
- Malnutrition indicators have worsened.
- Rise in stunting was reported in 11 out of 18 states. Wasting increase was found in 14 states and of those with anaemia in 17 states.